I was using SSLProtocol="TLSv1" explicitly. However, when I switched to
"all" the health monitor kicked back in. Interestingly though, I decided to
switch it back to my original APR configuration (the one that was giving me
issues with the health monitor in the first place) and the monitor
continued to work. Not sure why it's working now but I'm leaving my APR
connector with SSLProtocol="all" since that's what seemed to resolve my
issue.

Thanks!