Chris,

On 1/26/15 8:05 PM, Chris Arnold wrote:
>>> Yeah, that document is evidently a pack of lies. Specifically,
>>> the "path" and "docbase" attributes in <Context> are ignored
>>> in META-INF/context.xml files, and you really shouldn't have
>>> your <Context> anywhere else (except in
>>> conf/[engine]/[host]/[appname].xml, which behaves almost the
>>> same way).
>>>
>>> Best thing to do is to name the web application the same as
>>> where you want it to be deployed and not try to re-write
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> Is there a particular reason you want to map / to /share
>>> instead of /share to /share?
>>
>> Ease of use and it worked in a previous installment.
>
> I think this goes against what you are saying in the above text
> but, I just got a reply from the alfresco mailinglist. Here is what
> was said:
>
> The way we got around this was to just tell tomcat to deploy Share
> at / (ROOT) as well as at /share.  To do that, we added the
> following line to the very end of our tomcat server.xml file (5
> lines from the end, just before the line reading “</host>”):
>
> <Context path="" debug="0" docBase="share" />
>
> I don’t know if that’s exactly the right way to go about it, but
> it’s worked well for us for about 4.5 years now.

I'm surprised that the Alfresco team is still giving-out advice that
was appropriate in the mid-2000s.

Some notes:

1. Don't put <Context> in server.xml. Just don't.
2. "debug" hasn't been used in ... forever.
3. path="" is bad, and isn't necessary if you follow #1

Normally, docBase="share" would be bad, because it's relative to the
host's appBase and would result in double-deployment. In your case,
you want (?) double-deployment so it's not a big deal. Note that you
are therefore running *two* copies of the Alfresco "share" application
in your server. That may impact your capacity planning.

Also, you (or they?) said that you can't re-base the application to
"/", so I'm not sure why they are recommending that you do that.
Honestly, that application should be written to be re-baseable without
a problem. I'm disappointed with Alfresco that it's not.

> I still have a concern with this as we have other sites that we
> need to access at the http://domain.tld level and it seems to me (
> I could e understanding his solution wrong) that above solution
> will point all http(s)://domain.tld requests to /share. Am I
> misunderstanding his solution?

Remember that Tomcat controls virtually nothing: if you deploy
something on "/" in Tomcat, but don't proxy it in httpd, then it
effectively does not exist. So if you only proxy "/share", then "/"
doesn't matter.

Is everything else currently working? Just the problem with "/share"?