On 12/02/2015 12:19, Paul, Subhro wrote:
> Dear Team,
>
> I am an application developer from TCS and working for PSEG
> (https://www.pseg.com).
>
> We are using Apache Tomcat6 as application server for the website.
> Two virtual servers are configured for this and each one of the
> servers had 2 CPUs and 4 GB RAM until 26 JAN 2015 when both Tomcat
> servers crashed. So we added some resources to the virtual servers
> (Now it is 8CPUs and 8GB RAM each box) and increased maxThread
> parameter of tomcat from default (which is 200) to 300 and restarted
> Tomcat servers. OS of the systems are Linux6.5 .
>
> We need to know what the relationship between thread and memory is.
> If N numbers of requests coming to the server how many threads can
> process that and how much memory is required for that. Actually we
> are targeting to increase the maxThread count upto 500 but we need to
> calculate that, to process this much of threads what will be the best
> Hardware configuration?
>
> Please let us know if any more information is required for the same.

You only need to send your message once. Sending the same message
repeatedly tends to annoy people and reduces the chances of you getting
a response.

There is no way for anyone here to provide the information you are
looking for. By far the largest determining factor is your application
and the only person with the information about that is you. You need to
do some testing with a profiler to work out the information you are
looking for.

To re-enforce the point I have one customer where a 2-core machine with
1GB ram was configured with maxThread=2000 and was serving requests with
pretty much all of them without breaking a sweat. I have another
customer where a 4-core machine with 16GB ram will fall over with more
than 5 concurrent users.

Mark