Brian,

Please bottom-post or mix your responses inside of the original
message. It's much easier to read and the convention on this mailing
list. I've re-formatted your message slightly. Please see below.

On 2/27/15 12:12 PM, Brian V. Casteel wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: Christopher Schultz
>> [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Friday, February 27,
>> 2015 11:02 AM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: 1st time user
>>
>> Brian,
>>
>> On 2/27/15 11:32 AM, Brian V. Casteel wrote:
>>> I am wanting to set up Tomcat on my windows 2008 server and
>>> utilize it with my page running on IIS.  However I don't event
>>> know where to begin.  Can anyone help me out?
>>
>> Do you have an application you want to deploy, or do you just
>> want to use Tomcat as a web server?
>>
>> Getting started is pretty easy. What have you read/done already?
>
> I haven’t done much of anything. I downloaded what I think is the
> appropriate versions of tomcat 8 for my server, other than that
> I'm incredibly lost.

You have a few options. For Windows users, perhaps the Windows
Installer (one of the .exe downloads) is probably the easiest to use:
you'll get everything installed in a standard place (C:\Program Files)
and it will also install the Windows Service that you can use to
start/stop Tomcat.

If you download one of the ZIP packages, you can unzip it anywhere you
want. Launching Tomcat from the command-line is often a little easier
to troubleshoot when you are getting started. I can't remember if the
startup scripts are or are not included in the .exe packages; I seem
to remember them being missing in the past. I'm not prepared to
download and install the .exe package right now just to check, though.

> And in response to the first half that message I have at least one
>  Java script I want to have on my webpage that is currently served
> up by IIS.

Would you like to connect IIS to Tomcat, or do you want to use Tomcat
instead?

The thing that's usually most confusing to new users is that Tomcat
isn't a traditional web server where you just point it at a directory
(DocumentRoot in Apache httpd's parlance, not sure what it's called in
IIS) and serve files from it. Instead, everything is a "web
application" which can be very simple -- just having a few .html files
or whatever -- or it can have servlets, JSPs, and all kinds of other
things that are more interesting than just static files.

Unfortunately, the "getting started" documentation in the Users' Guide
is not great. There are whole sections of your local public library or
bookstore devoted to the basics of Java web applications, so repeating
all that stuff in Tomcat's documentation is kind of ... repetitive.

Understanding what a "web application" is, in terms of structure, is
probably going to be the best time spent as you get started, here. Do
a little bit of Googling and maybe to get a book on Java web
applications and read some of the introductory sections.

O'Reilly's "Tomcat: The Definitive Guide" is fairly good, though it's
based upon Tomcat 6 and so some of the specific configurations are a
bit out of date, but if you are okay with a loose interpretation of
those specifics, it's worth the read. The book is HUGE, so don't try
to go read the whole thing before getting started.

Wrox's "Professional Java for Web Applications" is also good, though
it moves very quickly and goes from covering "the basics" to ... well,
everything else under the sun. It's also enormous, so don't think you
have to read the whole thing.

The authors of both of those books do lurk on this mailing list, and
no, I don't get paid if you buy their books (though I should consider
asking for some consideration!).

So do a bit of reading and ask whatever questions you have, here. But
don't ask this community to teach you how to write web applications
because that will become tiresome for them. :)

Welcome to the community.