Am 03.03.2015 um 23:11 schrieb Jesse Defer:
any update on the behavior of the patched nodes? Did it behave better,
ie.
did the problem reoccur on other nodes but not on the patched ones,
or were all nodes mostly without problems during the last 2 days? Any
strange things on the patched ones? I'd like to add the patch for
1.2.41 but your feedback would be very valuable.

Thanks!

Rainer

It's been quiet, no stuck processes anywhere in the farm.  The patched
jk is working fine, no issues found so far.  I'll continue to monitor
and let you know.

Just to make sure: "no stuck processes anywhere in the farm" means we
can't be sure, that the patch helps, because the unpatched nodes didn't
have a problem either during that time. So we have to wait until the
problem happens a few more times so we can see whether the patch helps, or
the patched nodes have run long enough so that at least we don't expect a
negative impact from the patch.

Rainer,

The patch has not completely fixed the issue, I had a host today exhibit
the behavior.  It does seem to have better behavior: stuck process don't hang
around as long though there are still some >300 second ones.  It also seemed
to recover by itself, though it took about 40 minutes.  It also had more
idle processes on average, though it did hit 90% in W for a few minutes.

I have also converted 4 (different) hosts to the event mpm and was tweaking
the mpm settings all last week.  I think they are in a good state now and
so far I haven't seen the issue on them.

I now have 8 on stock mod_jk/prefork, 4 on your patched mod_jk/prefork, and 4
on stock mod_jk/event.

We are upgrading to httpd 2.4.12 on Friday and I am also gone on vacation
all next week.  We haven't decided yet if we are switching to event at the
same time, but it seems likely.  I am willing to continue testing your
patch but I won't be able to resume until the week of the 16th and it may
not be under prefork.

Thanks for your efforts.

I have committed the changes to mod_jk in 1665454. They will be part of version 1.2.41.

Regards,

Rainer