If I write a servlet such as the above, is there ever only once instance of it
running?

Don't confuse objects with threads.  There is one instance of a particular
servlet, but many threads may be executing in it concurrently, with each thread
processing a separate request.

I understand that each request is handled by a separate thread.  But does each
thread have its own copy of the servlet code?  Or does each thread request the
use of the servlet, wait until it is available, use it, and then release it
back to be used by the next thread, sort of like a database connection? I'm
pretty sure it is the former, but just wanted to check.

I'd like to offer a suggestion:  In multiple places, the FAQs about using this list
have comments such as "...be sure to check the archives before
asking a question..." but don't have any links (or instructions) on HOW to do
that!

There's no point in repeating something in a myriad of places that you must
have already read in order to sign up for the mailing list.  As clearly stated
on the mailing lists page
(http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html):
"Formatted archives are available in several places including the Apache Mail
Archives, MARC, Nabble, and MarkMail. The raw mbox files are also available."

That presumes that someone searching for an answer is a member of this list.  I suspect
that there are many, many more people who have download and are trying Tomcat than are
here.  It is very likely someone finds a reference to a discussion through Google, and
thus don't come through the Apache page "front door".

I actually did go to the Apache page you referenced when I started searching, and saw
that line.  The Apache Mail Archives link takes you to non-searchable records of every
email.  The MARC link returns a ridiculous list of hundreds of additional links, one of
which is "tomcat users", which returns even more links, etc.  I don't know WHAT
Nabble is suppose to do...it seems to be about starting blogs. The MarkMail link is OK
once you figure out what it does, but it is not as good as the simple link I provided.
Oh, and none of the FAQ pages provide links or instructions on how to search the archive.

So, no, you don't have to repeat the instructions in myriad places. Just simply, cleanly
explain it (with examples) in one place and then include links in myriad places.  It is
like putting a "contact us" link on every page of a website instead of just the
home page: it simply makes it easier for the user.  (Some people call it user-friendly.
Personally, I just call it being helpful.)

- Carl Dreher