> From: Carl Dreher [mailto:focus...@arn.net]
> Subject: Re: threads vs. servlets

> > > If I write a servlet such as the above, is there ever only once instance
> > > of it running?

> > Don't confuse objects with threads.  There is one instance of a particular
> > servlet, but
> > many threads may be executing in it concurrently, with each thread
> > processing a separate
> > request.

> But does each thread have its own copy of the servlet code?

Why would anyone ever duplicate _code_?  Perhaps you mean the instance fields
of the servlet object?

> Or does each thread request the use of the servlet, wait until it is
> available, use it, and
> then release it back to be used by the next thread, sort of like a database
> connection?

Note the use of the word "concurrently" above; is that not clear?  Since the
threads are executing at the same time within the servlet, one should be very,
very careful about using instance or static fields during request processing.
Such mistakes are a common cause of garbled responses.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.