On 24/03/2015 15:04, Johan Compagner wrote:

>> I understand all that.  But the basic view, from a sysadmin's point of
>> view is this :
>>
>> Tomcat 6(6.0.28)
>> Virtual Memory: 6772 MB
>> Resident Memory: 81 MB
>>
>> Tomcat 7(7.0.54)
>> Virtual Memory: 6778 MB
>> Resident Memory: 148 MB
>>

> what does that Resident exactly mean here?
> i guess the total heap the java vm has taken after startup?
>
> Because that could be quite logical, maybe tomcat 7 needs a lot more data
> because of that annotation scanning
> Doesn't it load in way more classes?

No. It uses byte code scanning to analyse all the classes and then only
loads the few that it needs to. This will , as Chris pointed out,
generate a huge amount of garbage.

> All that processing and then also maybe loading in up front way more
> classes then before will mean that the heap (and none heap in this
> scenario) is already way more loaded.

I would expect Tomcat 7 to load more classes since it has more features
(annotation scanning, 2 WebSocket implementations etc.)

Mark