Johan Compagner wrote:

I understand all that.  But the basic view, from a sysadmin's point of
view is this :

Tomcat 6(6.0.28)
Virtual Memory: 6772 MB
Resident Memory: 81 MB

Tomcat 7(7.0.54)
Virtual Memory: 6778 MB
Resident Memory: 148 MB

what does that Resident exactly mean here?
i guess the total heap the java vm has taken after startup?

Because that could be quite logical, maybe tomcat 7 needs a lot more data
because of that annotation scanning
Doesn't it load in way more classes?
All that processing and then also maybe loading in up front way more
classes then before will mean that the heap (and none heap in this
scenario) is already way more loaded.

That's the kind of thing that I mean.
The OP is asking : assuming the same host, the same JVM, the same startup parameters, the same default ROOT application, why does Tomcat 7 seem to be using 70 MB more RAM at startup than Tomcat 6 ?
The answer can be :
- it doesn't matter. The numbers shown are wrong, and if you run 10 instances of Tomcat 7 at the same time, you will see that they are not really using 700 MB more than before.
or
- it is normal and expected. Tomcat 7 - because of the new Servlet Spec - needs to borogrove the watchamecalits, and this is using 70 MB more heap than before. In return, you get a 25% performance improvement later..
or
- we have no clue. It does not happen on other machines, so there must be something special on your machine, and to find out what we need heap dumps.
or
???

The OP just wants to know which, but instead we are just telling him that he should take heap dumps or examine cryptic memory allocation displays etc.. He may not be adverse to that in the end, but some basic preliminary guidance may be helpful.