Hi,

We are having a problem on our production servers where downloads of certain files are getting randomly truncated. This includes static Javascript files, file downloads via servlets, etc, where the file is more than about 100K. Most of the time the file downloads successfully, but some randomly get truncated. The truncation doesn't happen in exactly the same place every time.

I've been able to recreate the issue on our development servers using Tomcat 8.0.20 with Java 1.8.20 and 1.8.40. I've tried Solaris 10, 11, SPARC and x64 CPUs and the same issue occurs. I've tested on a fresh install of Tomcat 8 and dropped in one of our larger Javascript files into the webapps/ROOT directory and made no other changes. I'm using a Perl script to continuously download the file and test an md5 hash against a known good value to test if the download breaks. It also seems to only occur when the network speed isn't very good. I use the following command to limit the speed of my network interface:

sudo tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1:0 netem rate 128kbit

I've also tested the same Tomcat on a Redhat 6 server but that appears to work fine.

If I revert to Tomcat 7.0.59, then Solaris works fine. The problem appears to only occur with Tomcat 8 on Solaris. I've tried v8.0.14 and 8.0.20 and they both have the problem.

The Perl script is available from http://dlib-bauer.ucs.ed.ac.uk/testdata.pl The Javascript file is available from http://dlib-bauer.ucs.ed.ac.uk/ext-datadownload-20150323_1157.js

Is anyone else running Tomcat 8 on Solaris 10 or 11 with Java 8, or know of any problems on the platform?

Regards,

--
Andrew Seales

EDINA                   tel: +44 (0) 131 650 3022
Edinburgh University    fax: +44 (0) 131 650 3308
Causewayside House      url: http://edina.ac.uk
160 Causewayside        email: andrew.sea...@ed.ac.uk
Edinburgh EH9 1PR

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.