Ramon,

On 5/29/15 3:32 AM, Ramon Pfeiffer wrote:
> Am 28.05.2015 um 18:56 schrieb Caldarale, Charles R:
>>> From: Ramon Pfeiffer [mailto:ramon.pfeif...@uni-tuebingen.de]
>>> Subject: Problem specifying cipher suites in tomcat6
>>
>>> I'm currently trying to specify a list of cipher suites to be
>>> used by my connector in Tomcat 6.0.24.
>>
>>> Anybody can shed some light on what I did wrong?
>>
>> Using a version of Tomcat that's more than five years old is the
>> first thing - there have been many, many security fixes since
>> then, including some related to the ciphers attribute.  You also
>> need to tell us the JVM version, the platform you're running on,
>> and whether or not APR is in use for this <Connector> (it's in
>> the logs).
>
> Sadly, it's a system I inherited last year and now have the
> pleasure to work with. I can't update Tomcat for I don't know what
> will break.

If you can't upgrade it, you are better-off shutting-down the service,
because there are security vulnerabilities in there.

So, ask your boss which is worse: shuttering the project, or getting a
new version of Tomcat into a testing environment?

> Anyway, I'm working on a RHEL6 system. A java -version yields #
> java -version java version "1.7.0_79" OpenJDK Runtime Environment
> (rhel-2.5.5.3.el6_6-x86_64 u79-b14) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build
> 24.79-b02, mixed mode)

So, no problem keeping the JVM up-to-date. You must have a testing
process for that, right? Just use the same testing process after
upgrading Tomcat. Once you're up-to-date on Tomcat 6.0.x, go ahead and
try again with Tomcat 8.0.x.