> Le 25 juin 2015 à 10:40, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> a écrit :
>
> Pascal Abaziou wrote:
>
>>> Le 25 juin 2015 à 00:23, Mark Eggers <its_toas...@yahoo.com.INVALID> a
>>> écrit :

>>> There's another issue when comparing vendor-packaged versus
>>> Apache-distributed Tomcat versions.
>>>
>>> Vendors often backport various fixes from later Apache-distributed
>>> versions to vendor-packaged versions. For example, you may see the
>>> following in RedHat (I'm running Fedora 22 or CentOS 6) distributions:
>>>
>>> CentOS 6
>>>
>>> Name        : tomcat6
>>> Arch        : x86_64
>>> Version     : 6.0.24
>>> Release     : 83.el6_6
>>> Size        : 92 k
>>> Repo        : updates
>>>
>>> First of all, you have to select Tomcat 6 as opposed to Tomcat on
>>> CentOS 6.6.  I understand that the Tomcat 7 version is only available
>>> in the EPEL repository.
>>>
>>> Here's the information for tomcat.noarch from the EPEL repository.
>>>
>>> Name        : tomcat
>>> Arch        : noarch
>>> Version     : 7.0.33
>>> Release     : 4.el6
>>> Size        : 86 k
>>> Repo        : epel
>>>
>>> The key thing to look at in both of these listings is the Release tag.
>>> RedHat (and I suppose other vendors) release updates to their packages
>>> that include backports for certain issues. In general, RedHat
>>> addresses security issues, but avoids backporting API changes between
>>> releases of their Linux platform.
>>>
>>> It is very difficult to compare RedHat's version of 6.0.24 or 7.0.33
>>> with the Apache release. You would have to compare both sets of change
>>> logs to find out how RedHat's release compared to Apache's release.
>>> Then, since it doesn't appear that this particular problem was
>>> uniquely identified in the Apache Tomcat changelogs, you would have to
>>> determine what change (and when) fixed the issue.
>>>
>>> Finally, you would then have to lobby RedHat to include the
>>> appropriate change into their repackaging of Tomcat.
>>>
>>> Lots of work . . .
>>>
>>> This is one of the reasons why most people on the list advocate using
>>> Apache-distributed packages. In the end, it's easier for everyone
>>> (mailing list members, Apache Tomcat users, and system administrators).
>>>
>>> As André pointed out above, this is a system administrator issue, not
>>> a Tomcat issue. If there are policies in place that preclude third
>>> party packaged applications running in production, then there are also
>>> corporate policy issues.
>>>
>>> In short, there are few reasons to stay with a vendor-distributed
>>> packaging of Tomcat, and quite a few good reasons to move to the
>>> Apache-distributed packages.
>>>
>>> . . . happily running Apache-distributed packages everywhere
>>> /mde/
>> Thanks for your answers. I’ll go in this direction. We already noticed
> [...]
Thanks,

I understand the policy of sysadmin (and more of some in our team as we have
other topics — without bugs but features like selling— not related to tomcat to
solve and I am more for the admin position on the subject), but in this case,
it’s about 2 bugs. We found a workaround for the other. For this one, if it
hase impacts on the dev it will be more tricky to deal with.

oh and for redhat (and not redhead), it’s my e-mail client that did automatic «
correction » : I revert one but didn’t see the last one.