> Hello - currently I'm running a multi instance Tomcat 8 server and wish to
> use Manager to deploy war files via its HTTP API command line interface.
>
> When attempting to deploy there is a continuous issue with the context
> path not being recognised.
>
> Here is an example of the command -
>
> curl -v -X PUT
> http://user:password@localhost:10080/manager/text/deploy?path=/address-information-ds-1.0&war=file:/usr/share/tomcat/deployments/20150706/address-information-ds-1.0
> FAIL - Deployed application at context path /address-information-ds-1.0
> but context failed to start

So your deployment (upload) was successful,  but the application
itself is broken and failed to start.

> Now check the list of installed webapps -
>
> $ curl -X GET http://tcsct:cbiw2PXB@localhost:10080/manager/text/list
> OK - Listed applications for virtual host localhost
> /manager:running:0:manager
> /:running:0:ROOT
> /address-information-ds-1.0:stopped:0:address-information-ds-1.0.war
> /host-manager:running:0:host-manager

Deployed, but not running. It is consistent with the above "failed to
start" message.

> Catanlina.log
> 10-Jul-2015 11:20:54.572 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1]
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Error deploying web
> application archive /opt/tomcat/webapps/address-information-ds-1.0.war
>  java.lang.IllegalStateException: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
> org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
> [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/address-information-ds-1.0]]

Web application errors (logged via ServletContext.log() API or
similar)  go into different log file: localhost.$date.log. You should
look there.