I agree that mod_proxy_ajp is more commonly supported. I've
looked/briefly worked on the mod_jk source and it was pretty awful - but
that's what happens to code over time. I see your point regarding the
ajp protocol but equally, HTTP is everywhere and if every other part of
a web stack is HTTP, there seems little value in doing anything
different between Apache & Tomcat. AJP has various load balancing
features/etc and if that's what one wants, fine, but most organisations
have hardware load balancers etc to do this for them now-a-days.

Going back to my request, I note the Servlet Specification API docs
state that getRemoteUser should return the CGI variable REMOTE_USER:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest.html#getRemoteUser()

But as I've highlighted, it does not, so Tomcat is in breach of the
spec. How can this be raised as a bug?