John,

On 7/24/15 4:46 AM, John Baker wrote:
> I agree that mod_proxy_ajp is more commonly supported. I've
> looked/briefly worked on the mod_jk source and it was pretty awful
> - but that's what happens to code over time.

Anything in particular? Plumbing code is always not terribly pretty.

It's kept up-to-date and generally supports more features than
mod_proxy_ajp.

> I see your point regarding the ajp protocol but equally, HTTP is
> everywhere and if every other part of a web stack is HTTP, there
> seems little value in doing anything different between Apache &
> Tomcat.

There are some slight optimizations in comparison to AJP. When HTTPS/2
(which is very much like AJP) hits, you'll see less of a difference.

> AJP has various load balancing features/etc and if that's what one
> wants, fine, but most organisations have hardware load balancers
> etc to do this for them now-a-days.

Also, mod_proxy_* does load-balancing. This is not a feature of the
protocol, but of the tool.

> Going back to my request, I note the Servlet Specification API
> docs state that getRemoteUser should return the CGI variable
> REMOTE_USER:
>
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/servletapi/javax/servlet/http/
HttpServletRequest.html#getRemoteUser()

>  But as I've highlighted, it does not, so Tomcat is in breach of
> the spec. How can this be raised as a bug?

REMOTE_USER is not an HTTP header... it's the "REMOTE_USER" CGI
variable. So, your proposed implementation is incorrect and represents
a security vulnerability.

Tomcat is compliant insofar as there is no standard that covers where
the REMOTE_USER CGI variable should be set or what its value should
be. When a user is logged-into a web application,
request.getRemoteUser returns the name of the currently-logged-in
user. When no user is logged-in, it returns null. That seems to be
compliant to me.

How do you want it to behave instead?

If you want to have the web server report the REMOTE_USER CGI variable
to Tomcat, you'll have to arrange that for yourself.