> I am trying to move my client to Tomcat 8 from 7.

Tomcat version = ?

> We've been on 7 for a
> year or two and have not had any major issues.  I read through the 7-->8
> migration instructions.  As far as I can tell, I have renamed all of the
> resource config parameters that changed (maxTotal, maxWaitMillis,
> removedAbandonedOnBorrow).

There are two pool implementations in Tomcat 7 as well as in Tomcat 8.
Which one are you using? (Your factory = ?)

>  But after running for a couple of hours, I start
> getting "Too Many Connections" exceptions when connecting to the db.
> Granted, there's a chance I have some connection leaks in the code, and I'll
> look into those.  But this hasn't been an issue on 7 for the past year or
> two.  And shouldn't removeAbandoned clean those up?  I've got logAbandoned
> set to 'true', and nothing is showing up in the logs. Is this exception
> referring to running out of available connections in the pool?

Describe "this exception" in more detail.

What component logs that message? (class, method name that accompany
the log message)
Stack trace?

> Is there something else I need to change in the configuration to move to
> Tomcat 8 that I've overlooked?

Read official documentation for Apache Commons DBCP pool
http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-dbcp/configuration.html

Maybe you will notice some discrepancies with your configuration.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko