> Are you actually using HTTP Basic authentication? You may be configuring
> the wrong authenticator. (I know nothing about Shibboleth)

I'm using Apache HTTPD as a front-end (via mod_proxy) for Tomcat, since
Shibboleth works (mostly) with Apache HTTPD. So, the authentication happens on
the HTTPD side.

I am now trying different values for Authenticators (feeling rather silly, but
willing to try)...

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/api/org/apache/catalina/authenticator/package-summary.html

--Hardy