Oh, yeah, duh, I will look at the Tomcat source, too. Thanks!

Sent from my Zact Mobile phone.

Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Hardy,

On 9/9/15 4:22 PM, Pottinger, Hardy J. wrote:
> Ha, sorry for the useless detail :-)

It's no problem. Stymied by the effective use of class extension
features in an OO language. :)

>>> Is that enough of a clue?
>> Ha ha ha, no unfortunately not: pretty much all of the
>> authenticators extend from AuthenticatorBase, so the only thing
>> it tells us is that there is at least *some* authenticator.
>>
>> If nobody else replies, I'll try to trace-through the code to
>> figure out what kind of authenticator you are getting. I'm
>> guessing NoLoginAuthenticator is the one, though.
>
> Thanks for the offer of tracing through the code. If you're really
> interested, here is a starting point:
> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/tree/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/
org/dspace/authenticate

Yeah,

I'm not looking-through that. I was going to look at Tomcat's
source, which should be as far as I'll have to look.

Or, if one of the other committers with more experience with this code
(*cough*markt/kkolinko*cough*) could comment, it would save me a bunch
of time ;)

- -chris

> ________________________________________ From: Christopher Schultz
> [ch...@christopherschultz.net] Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015
> 3:09 PM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: Re: seeking help with
> stabilizing the persistence of a JSESSIONID
>
> Hardy,
>
> On 9/9/15 3:54 PM, Pottinger, Hardy J. wrote:
>> Well... it occurred to me that from time to time we happen to
>> have stack traces show up in our log files due to some error or
>> another, and, I could just *look* at the log files. Sure enough,
>> here's an example of one line of interest (there are many similar
>> ones):
>
>> at
>> org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(Authentica

orBase.java:503)

>> Is that enough of a clue?
>
> Ha ha ha, no unfortunately not: pretty much all of the
> authenticators extend from AuthenticatorBase, so the only thing it
> tells us is that there is at least *some* authenticator.
>
> If nobody else replies, I'll try to trace-through the code to
> figure out what kind of authenticator you are getting. I'm
> guessing NoLoginAuthenticator is the one, though.
>
> -chris
>
>> From: Pottinger, Hardy J. Sent: Wednesday, September 09, 2015
>> 9:35 AM To: Tomcat Users List Subject: RE: seeking help with
>> stabilizing the persistence of a JSESSIONID
>
>> Hi, thanks for following up! No, no luck at all. The web
>> application I'm working with is based on Apache Cocoon 2.2, so,
>> no JSPs in sight. I am actually weighing my options, I have a
>> choice to either pursue making the current design work (i.e. try
>> to get the session to stick around long enough so I can use it),
>> or else change the design and go with a more conventional "pass
>> the return URL around as a parameter in the request" approach.
>> I'm leaning towards the latter, as it sidesteps this whole issue
>> we're having with session fixation protection, *and* it deals
>> with a slightly esoteric use case, where a user encounters a
>> password challenge when attempting to view a restricted item,
>> backtracks, then later chooses to log in for some other reason,
>> and is returned to the original restricted item page (because the
>> redirect URL is still in the session).
>
>> If I do continue to persue the session route, I'll let you know
>> if I'm able to determine what authentication class ends up in
>> the stack trace.
>
>> --Hardy ________________________________________ From:
>> Christopher Schultz [ch...@christopherschultz.net] Sent:
>> Wednesday, September 09, 2015 8:24 AM To: Tomcat Users List
>> Subject: Re: seeking help with stabilizing the persistence of a
>> JSESSIONID
>
>> Hardy,

>>> in our Vhost file, we have this:
>
>>> <Location "/xmlui"> ProxyPass
>>> ajp://127.0.0.1:8009/xmlui retry=1 keepalive=on
>>> ProxyPassReverse ajp://127.0.0.1:8009/xmlui ShibUseHeaders On
>>> SetEnv proxy-sendchunked 1 </Location>
>
>>> in our server.xml file, we have this: <!-- Define an AJP 1.3
>>> Connector on port 8009, just on localhost --> <Connector
>>> port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8080"
>>> protocol="AJP/1.3" address="127.0.0.1"
>>> tomcatAuthentication="false" maxSwallowSize="-1"
>>> connectionTimeout="1232000" disableUploadTimeout="false"