Hello,

Opening an old thread here regarding controlling which version of a web app
a request ends up at in a parallell deployment scenario.

My use case:
I would like to use parallel deployments for A/B testing.

I.e, deploy new version.
Send x% of visitors to the new version, the rest to the old one.

Once conviced the new version is better, have traffic go primarily to the
new version and let the old one die.

Next deploy, samt all over again.

Someone mentioned controlling this through a cookie, however, when I was
checking my browsers requests I could find no signs of a cookie controlling
this (other than the normal session cookie, but in this case i suppose this
is meta data baked into the session ? Could find my way around the code to
verify this)

Im not opposed to do some development here if there is not support already
and it would be approved. I would then prefer to control the behaviour
through a header which I can impose in a load balancer or proxy fronting
Tomcat. Other suggestions are welcome.

(related question on serverfault:
http://serverfault.com/questions/723944/can-you-redirect-a-user-to-a-specific-version-in-tomcats-parallel-deployment
)