On 25 Sep 2015, at 10:33 PM, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
wrote:

> While I obviously agree with the sentiment, I do feel bad for the OP
> who has to fight this battle.

It is important however to clarify that this isn’t a typical scenario, lest
someone cites this thread as to why they should be doing the same thing.

> 1. All the code we currently have in tcnative uses APR for everything,
> and I'm not sure if APR supports AF_UNIX sockets, or even if it would
> have to support them to do this.

The as-yet-unreleased v1.6 of APR does support unix domain sockets, although
the docs for it don’t appear to be very clear.

> 2. The plumbing required to configure an AF_UNIX socket is
> non-trivial, and it's currently all wired-around using AF_INET
> sockets, so it's got hostname, port, etc. I suppose we could stuff the
> inode's name into the hostname and ignore the port number or something
> like that, but it's fairly hacky.

Currently APR seems to accept the UDS filename where the IP address would
otherwise be provided.

> So this is a non-trivial amount of work, here.
>
> Srini, is there any chance your employer would pay someone to write
> this code? Patches are always welcome, and Tomcat is otherwise
> completely free…

If there was a push for unix domain sockets from Tomcat it would definitely
help working out whether the APR_UNIX implementation does what it needs to do,
and gets properly documented and v1.6 released.

Regards,
Graham
—