Frederik,

On 9/28/15 11:13 AM, Frederik Nosi wrote:
> Hi, On 09/26/2015 02:04 AM, Christopher Schultz wrote: Graham,

> I don't really see this happening.
>
> I'm fairly sure that the widespread use of HTTP/2 is going to kill
> AJP forever, leaving only mod_proxy_http(2) as a viable long-term
> connector. Nobody is ever going to bother writing an AF_UNIX
> connector for HTTP/2, so I think this idea is very likely to die in
> this thread.
>
>> Not sure on this, as AJP is quite handy. Expecialy load balancing
>> java webapps and i find mod_jk quite good at this.

Remember, it's not mod_jk doing the load-balancing, it's Apache httpd.
mod_jk is simply providing the channel over which the proxying is
being done. In a thread on the dev list, I'm a little more defensive
of AJP because of its ability to pass data out-of-band with respect to
the tunneled HTTP message. There definitely is utility there.

>> Out of curiosity, why do you think so? What does offer HTTP/2
>> that can be handy in a reverse proxy scenario? Compression /
>> streams?

It's not that I think HTTP/2 offers a particular advantage over AJP,
but HTTP/2 *will* be implemented and it offers a number of advantages
over AJP (specifically, encryption as part of the HTTPS protocol).
Currently, AJP doesn't support the connection-oriented web protocols
like Websocket, and it just seems like it will be a huge effort to get
AJP to be able to tunnel everything that both HTTP and HTTP/2 offer.

Since HTTP/2 is going to (eventually) have to support all this, and
httpd is going to (eventually) implement HTTP/2 proxying, I'm not sure
I see a great benefit to continuing to maintain AJP and mod_jk along
with it.

mod_jk was great when proxying was otherwise very complicated with
Apache httpd. That's no longer the case, and I think it makes sense to
push mod_proxy_http to support all the great features that AJP/mod_jk
is currently providing. There is no great need to maintain two
components that do pretty much the same thing, when one of those
components (mod_jk) has a very narrow use-case and the other
(mod_proxy_http) has very wide applicability.