Hi Christopher,

While that may have been true in ancient versions like XP and Vista, at least
starting with Win7 QueryPerformanceCounter() uses the processor's TSC [1]
(where Vista used the HPET if available) so you should have a very high
resolution here. E.g. running the following Java program:

    int[] iterations = { 100, 120, 150, 250 };

    for (int i = 0; i < iterations.length; i++) {
        for (int j = 0; j < 3; j++) {
            long currentTime = System.nanoTime();
            double startValue = 1000;
            for (int z = 0; z < iterations[i]; z++) {
                startValue = Math.pow(startValue, 0.99);
            }
            long difference = System.nanoTime() - currentTime;
            System.out.println(iterations[i] + " pow iterations ms took " +
(difference / 1000L) + " µs");
        }
    }

prints on my system something like:

100 pow iterations ms took 25 µs
100 pow iterations ms took 7 µs
100 pow iterations ms took 7 µs
120 pow iterations ms took 8 µs
120 pow iterations ms took 9 µs
120 pow iterations ms took 8 µs
150 pow iterations ms took 11 µs
150 pow iterations ms took 10 µs
150 pow iterations ms took 13 µs
250 pow iterations ms took 18 µs
250 pow iterations ms took 17 µs
250 pow iterations ms took 17 µs

So there should at least be a microsecond resolution. On a C# program using
Stopwatch I get similar results in the range from 5 to 12 µs.

Note, QueryPerformanceFrequency() [2] can be used to get the frequency of the
timer which is exposed in .Net through static
System.Diagnostics.Stopwatch.Frequency field as ticks per second. On my system
it prints "3323580" so the resolution should be around ~0.3 microseconds.

Regards,
Konstantin Preißer

[1]
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn553408%28v=vs.85%29.aspx