On 11/2/2015 3:09 PM, Farzad Panahi wrote:
Quoting from David Holme's blog:

The nanoTime method uses the highest resolution clock available on the
platform, and while its return value is in nanoseconds, the update resolution
is typically only microseconds.
https://blogs.oracle.com/dholmes/entry/inside_the_hotspot_vm_clocks

I think we can rely on nanoTime as a clock with microsecond
resolution. Having said that can't we say printing out nanoTime in
websocket message handler will give us a fair number (with microsecond
accuracy) to measure how quickly the message handler is being called?

All I am saying is that I see an obvious hiccup in order of
milliseconds when threads are switching which I have no explanation
for.

Please advise if you think the way I am measuring is wrong.

I'm with Chris on this one: I think it's due to running on a VM rather than on real hardware.

Cheers

Farzad