I would turn on the access logs (if you haven't already) and check that the browser isn't actually sending two requests.
This can sometimes happen if the user double-clicks submit buttons.
There are plenty of threads in the archives of this list suggesting ways to mitigate this double-submission problem.

HTH,

Jon

Nikita Tovstoles wrote:
Sourab,

I'm facing the exactly same problem and yet to find a solution. Is your Tomcat instance listening on 2 ports by chance? Also is the request.getParameterMap() of one of those parallel requests missing any query parameters?

-nikita

Sourabh Antani wrote:
Hi, I am facing this situation. I have a login screen, when the user clics the submit button, Tomcat sometimes creates two threads in parallel to process the request. This causes a problem with the database. This does not always happen. Most of the time it creates only one thread as expected. However, every once in a while it will create two threads that run in parallel. Any ideas?
        Thanks,
     Sourabh Antani