Well, at least you do a bit of protection instead of just disabling the
session fixation security filter. However, be aware that potentially
many people might come from the same IP address - either because it's a
NATing home router or a big company's proxy server. Especially if you
want to attack someone who's in the same network as yourself, this
IP-based protection is quite useless.

I think I'm seeing the problems, and as long as you know what you're
doing and you accept the unavoidable consequences of this lower grade
protection, everything is fine.

It still sounds funny that the session is not available with the next
requests... Might be worth to try different browsers for their timing on
the receipt of the cookie

Also, as you call HttpServletRequest.login manually, double check that
you're doing this before the response is committed to the client,
specifically before any other (old) session id cookie is already in the
response stream. It sounds weird, but might help you debug further (note
that I'm not looking at tomcat's code. Apologies if I'm not making sense)

Olaf