I'm hitting an error, and I'm not sure how to fix it. The environment is:

OS: Ubuntu Linux
Tomcat: 6.0.44
JVM: Sun 1.6.0.22
CATALINA_HOME/CATALINA_BASE configuration

The client reports that this system has worked in the past. Their original production system was running 6.0.18 using a distribution specific installation of tomcat, so I made a clean install of tomcat 6.0.44 using downloaded binaries and made a new, minimalist CATALINA_HOME/CATALINA_BASE.

I admit, I'm not an expert on Spring, so I'm mystified as to why it's not going. I've searched the internet for relevant things but all I can find are articles that talk about eclipse and adding servlet-api.jar to the compilation path.

Help!

INFO: Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'freightrates'
Jan 12, 2016 9:27:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'urlMapping' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/freightrates-servlet.xml]: Initialization of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'freightRates' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/freightrates-servlet.xml]: Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Could not instantiate bean class [com.xxx.freight.web.controller.FreightRatesController]: Constructor threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems:
        The import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved
The import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse cannot be resolved The method onSubmit(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse, Object, BindException) of type FreightRatesController must override or implement a supertype method
        HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
        HttpServletResponse cannot be resolved to a type
        HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
        HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
        HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
The method showForm(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse, BindException, Map) of type FreightRatesController must override or implement a supertype method
        HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
        HttpServletResponse cannot be resolved to a type
The method referenceData(HttpServletRequest, Object, Errors) of type FreightRatesController must override or implement a supertype method
        HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
The method isFormChangeRequest(HttpServletRequest, Object) of type FreightRatesController must override or implement a supertype method
        HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
The method onFormChange(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse, Object, BindException) of type FreightRatesController must override or implement a supertype method

at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:480) at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)

--
George Sexton
*MH Software, Inc.*