Chris,

Mark,

On 1/12/16 12:03 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 12/01/2016 16:40, George Sexton wrote:
I'm hitting an error, and I'm not sure how to fix it. The environment is:
Check the JARs in WEB-INF/lib for any javax.servlet classes. There
should not be any. You might as well check WEB-INF/classes while you are
at it.

If any JARs have been added to $CATALINA_BASE/lib then check them too.
I see these problems when using Eclipse and extracting .class files
while Eclipse is trying to figure out something like a new .jar file
being added or something that requires a complete rebuild.

Thanks. You were right on. In the Eclipse project, there were some kind of strange errors. I googled, did the "right click and select Quick Fix" thing and that got it I'm not really an Eclipse person. I use an editor call SlickEdit (windows and Linux) with ant to build things, so it was kind of new to me.

Eclipse, rather than failing to create a .class file, will instead
create a .class file that has a static initializer that looks something
like this:

static {
    throw new Error("Can't compile class: [errors]");
}

So you have a valid .class file but it will bomb every time.

Reasonable people can disagree over whether this is good or bad behavior
(but I say it's bad).

George, the upshot is that you will almost certainly have to re-build
your WAR. Try doing a completely clean build if your application and try
again with a fresh WAR.

-chris

OS: Ubuntu Linux
Tomcat: 6.0.44
JVM: Sun 1.6.0.22
CATALINA_HOME/CATALINA_BASE configuration

The client reports that this system has worked in the past. Their
original production system was running 6.0.18 using a distribution
specific installation of tomcat, so I made a clean install of tomcat
6.0.44 using downloaded binaries and made a new, minimalist
CATALINA_HOME/CATALINA_BASE.

I admit, I'm not an expert on Spring, so I'm mystified as to why it's
not going. I've searched the internet for relevant things but all I can
find are articles that talk about eclipse and adding servlet-api.jar to
the compilation path.

Help!

INFO: Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'freightrates'
Jan 12, 2016 9:27:17 AM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
SEVERE: StandardWrapper.Throwable
bean with name 'urlMapping' defined in ServletContext resource
[/WEB-INF/freightrates-servlet.xml]: Initialization of bean failed;
nested exception is
bean with name 'freightRates' defined in ServletContext resource
[/WEB-INF/freightrates-servlet.xml]: Instantiation of bean failed;
nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Could not
instantiate bean class
[com.xxx.freight.web.controller.FreightRatesController]: Constructor
threw exception; nested exception is java.lang.Error: Unresolved
compilation problems:
         The import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved
         The import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse cannot be
resolved
         The method onSubmit(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse,
Object, BindException) of type FreightRatesController must override or
implement a supertype method
         HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
         HttpServletResponse cannot be resolved to a type
         HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
         HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
         HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
         The method showForm(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse,
BindException, Map) of type FreightRatesController must override or
implement a supertype method
         HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
         HttpServletResponse cannot be resolved to a type
         The method referenceData(HttpServletRequest, Object, Errors) of
type FreightRatesController must override or implement a supertype method
         HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
         The method isFormChangeRequest(HttpServletRequest, Object) of
type FreightRatesController must override or implement a supertype method
         HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
         The method onFormChange(HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse,
Object, BindException) of type FreightRatesController must override or
implement a supertype method
         HttpServletRequest cannot be resolved to a type
         HttpServletResponse cannot be resolved to a type

         at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:480)

         at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory$1.run(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:409)