Dear group,

I have two web applications (a,b) that are both reachable via subdomains:

a.example.com <http://a.example.com/>
b.example.com <http://b.example.com/>

For b.example.com <http://b.example.com/> exists a SSL certificate.
a.example.com <http://a.example.com/> does not need SSL.
The HTTPS connector uses a a Java keystore with the certificate.

I configured Apache Tomcat 8.0.20 with Virtual Hosting.

CATALINA_HOME/webapps_a
CATALINA_HOME/webapps_b

The server.xml has been adjusted.

<Engine name="Catalina" defaultHost="b">

 <Host name="a" appBase="webapps_a" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
 </Host>

 <Host name="b" appBase="webapps_b" unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true">
 </Host>

</Engine>

Both web apps are deployed using ROOT.war. They get unpacked and there are no
errors in the log files.

Here is my problem. b works fine, but I can't reach a.

curl -I http://a.example.com <http://a.example.com/>
HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
Cache-Control: private