After playing with static clustering a few more days, I still ran headlong into a wall with this.

I decided to go back to multicast, and try BackupManager instead of DeltaManager, and it now seems to be restarting correctly, as long as my timeout was high enough for the 15+ second AbstractMapReplication init. Overall it takes about 65 seconds for server startup compared to 15 sec for static deltaManager and 30 sec for multicast deltaManager. But the important part is that it eventually does start the server while under load, and session failover seems to work as expected.

Unfortunately using backupManager is not my preferred solution, but it may be the only option until I can figure out why DeltaManager is broken in our environment. I would still love to hear if anyone has any suggestions as to why backup manager is working but delta manager is broken.

Thank you,
-Anthony