On 29.04.2016 08:59, Lyallex wrote:
The problem is despite setting the to-type to permanent-redirect I'm
actually getting a 302 temporary-redirect.

I know this is probably off topic but if anyone has any experience of
this I'd be gratefull to hear how you solved it

If this was Apache httpd, a simple solution would be to create 2 VirtualHost's,
- one of which listens only to port 80, and always returns a 301 to HTTPS
- the other one listening only to port 443, and holding your application
There should be a way to do the same with Tomcat.

If not, then thinking a bit laterally :
- set up Tomcat with only a HTTPS Connector and your apps.
- set up Apache httpd with only a HTTP VirtualHost, to return the 301.
The overhead should be negligible, because the Apache httpd could be minimally configured, if that is the only thing it ever has to do. And since with a 301, browsers (and Google) should update their links/cache, it would only catch the first attempts of each client. And it saves quite a bit of overhead at the Tomcat level, which no longer has to deal at all with catching HTTP and redirecting it.