Lance,

On 5/20/16 9:41 AM, Campbell, Lance wrote:
> I love Tomcat.  I have been using it before it was Tomcat.  Thanks
> for the great work!
>
> Our group only uses Tomcat with Apache for serving up content
> through servlets.  We never use JSPs, tag libs, etc.  I know Tomcat
> is taking on a lot more capabilities.  Is there a way to disable or
> maybe tell Tomcat that we don't use anything other than just
> Servlets?  I did not know if doing this might help load/startup time.
> Or maybe it would make for a smaller footer print or better
> performance.

If you aren't using JSP, you can de-configure the JspServlet in
conf/context.xml (note this will disable JSP across all applications
deployed in Tomcat, not just one application). But the JspServlet isn't
really taking up much in the way of resources when it's never being
used. I'm not sure you would be able to see any difference in heap usage
if you de-configured that.

If you disable much of the JAR-scanning, you may be able to save some
heap if you never use any of the auto-configuring resources, etc.

But Tomcat is quite lean-and-mean in its default configuration. Last
time I checked, it takes about 12MiB of heap to run Tomcat with nothing
but a trivial ROOT application deployed.

Is there anything in particular that you are trying to reduce?

-chris