On 20/05/2016 14:41, Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Tomcat 8.0.35
> I love Tomcat.  I have been using it before it was Tomcat.  Thanks for the
> great work!

You are welcome. Always nice to see a satisfied user.

> Our group only uses Tomcat with Apache for serving up content through
> servlets.  We never use JSPs, tag libs, etc.  I know Tomcat is taking on a
> lot more capabilities.  Is there a way to disable or maybe tell Tomcat that
> we don't use anything other than just Servlets?  I did not know if doing this
> might help load/startup time.  Or maybe it would make for a smaller footer
> print or better performance.
>
> Just thought I would ask.
>
> Thanks for the great work.

In theory, yes. Not sure how much difference it would make in practice.
I'd recommend just disabling in config since that is much less likely to
cause problems than deleting JARs even though - in theory - you could
delete a few.

Note: All of this is untested so there may be typos / errors.

You can disable WebSocket by setting
containerSciFilter="org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsSci" on the
default Context in conf/context.xml

You can disable JSPs by removing / commenting out the JSP servlet
configuration in conf/web.xml.

Remove any connectors you aren't using in server.xml.

Pretty much everything else will only load if you use it. Keep in mind
that Tomcat's footprint is of the order of 15MB. That is normally
dwarfed by the deployed applications. The return may not be worth the
effort.

HTH,

Mark