On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 11:26 PM, Conor Skyler <conorsky...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm trying to install the certificates I bought from GoDaddy into my Tomcat
> server, however so far I've been unsuccessful to achieve this.
>
> My system specs are:
> OS: Amazon Linux (fully updated)
> Tomcat version: 8.0.32, installed from the repos
> Java version: $ java -version
> openjdk version "1.8.0_91"
> OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b14)
>
> To install the certificates I followed this tutorial from GoDaddy website:
>
> https://ar.godaddy.com/help/tomcat-generate-csrs-and-install-certificates-5239
> which explains how to create a KeyStore and configure the <Connector> in
> the server.xml file.

Follow these instructions.

> Now, judging from the official Tomcat documentation in
> https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/ssl-howto.html it's stated that I
> first need to conver the .crt files provided by GoDaddy to PKCS12 format --
> I wonder then why the instructions in GoDaddy's website state other thing!

There's more than one way to do this.  If you started out by following the
GoDaddy instructions to generate your CSR, then continue to follow them to
import your signed certificate.

> But then I read this piece of documentation that left me completely
> bewildered:
> To import an existing certificate signed by your own CA into a PKCS12
> keystore using OpenSSL you would execute a command like:
>
> openssl pkcs12 -export -in mycert.crt -inkey mykey.key
>                        -out mycert.p12 -name tomcat -CAfile myCA.crt
>                        -caname root -chain
>
> In this example there's a reference to a 'mykey.key' file that I don't
> have a clue how to obtain it or from where it comes since when I
> download the certificates provided by GoDaddy, there's no such .key
> file: I can download several different types of certificates in .crt
> format but there isn't any .key file to download.

This has to do with the way that you generated the CSR.  The GoDaddy
instructions have you using keytool and a keystore.  In this case, your
private key will exist in the keystore, so you won't have a .key file and
that's OK.

> I tried contacting their support and well, they weren't any helpful at
> all, they pointed me to the repository where all the certificates are
> stored and told me to 'find someone that knows how to handle them' --
> thanks for nothing :(
>
> Finally I want to say that I have Tomcat running smooth at port 8080,
> I even configured an administrator user to access the status page
> which works perfectly, my problem is that I just can't find how to
> properly install and configure the SSL.

Follow the GoDaddy instructions.  They should work.  If you get stuck on a
specific step, let us know.

Dan