Paul,

On 7/6/16 5:11 PM, Paul Roubekas wrote:
> On 7/6/2016 5:00 PM, Paul Roubekas wrote:
>> On 7/6/2016 4:39 PM, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>> Paul,

>>> What do you mean "just hangs"? Take a thread dump of the
>>> process to see what it's doing. What do the logs say?

>>> So:
>>>
>>> $ mv ${CATALINA_HOME}/webapps/ROOT ${CATALINA_HOME}
>>>
>>> ??
>> Yes that is what I did.  I could have moved it to /tmp.  But
>> since there were no issue on the workstation I did the same thing
>> on the server.
>>>
>>> So, ROOT is now ${CATALINA_HOME}/ROOT?
>> Yes

>>> A context path of "/" is invalid. Leave it as "". Better yet,
>>> remove the whole <Context> element from server.xml.
>>>
> All that did was cause the startup to lockup sooner, at the step
> below. INFO: OpenWebBeans Container has started, it took 283 ms.
> Jul 06, 2016 5:08:19 PM
> org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomcatWebAppBuilder deployWebApps INFO:
> using context file
> /opt/tomee/webapps/ROOT##000/META-INF/context.xml Jul 06, 2016
> 5:08:19 PM org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomcatWebAppBuilder init INFO:
> ------------------------- localhost -> /

So you get that INFO message and then .. nothing?

This is evidently TomEE which may do things slightly differently, but
generally speaking, if you have a WAR file in webapps/ then it will be
automatically-deployed and you don't need any other
application-specific configuration: just drop your WAR file in there
and let it deploy. Using ROOT##000.war will use the WAR file "version"
of 000 which will allow for parallel deployment of the ROOT context.

Are there no other messages in the log file? Are there any other log
files in logs/ ?

What about a thread dump after Tomcat stops responding?