> Paul,
>
> On 7/6/16 5:11 PM, Paul Roubekas wrote:

> >> Yes that is what I did.  I could have moved it to /tmp.  But
> >> since there were no issue on the workstation I did the same thing
> >> on the server.

> >> Yes

> > All that did was cause the startup to lockup sooner, at the step
> > below. INFO: OpenWebBeans Container has started, it took 283 ms.
> > Jul 06, 2016 5:08:19 PM
> > org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomcatWebAppBuilder deployWebApps INFO:
> > using context file
> > /opt/tomee/webapps/ROOT##000/META-INF/context.xml Jul 06, 2016
> > 5:08:19 PM org.apache.tomee.catalina.TomcatWebAppBuilder init INFO:
> > ------------------------- localhost -> /
>
> So you get that INFO message and then .. nothing?
>
> This is evidently TomEE which may do things slightly differently, but
> generally speaking, if you have a WAR file in webapps/ then it will be
> automatically-deployed and you don't need any other
> application-specific configuration: just drop your WAR file in there
> and let it deploy. Using ROOT##000.war will use the WAR file "version"
> of 000 which will allow for parallel deployment of the ROOT context.
>
> Are there no other messages in the log file? Are there any other log
> files in logs/ ?
>
> What about a thread dump after Tomcat stops responding?
>
> -chris
Ugh!  lack of entropy on my server was the cause, again.   In the past
when I had this problem the "hang" was at a different spot in the
startup, that is what fooled me, even though I was giving the startup ~5
minutes.  I have a HTTPS page on my site which requires some entropy for
"randomness".  I installed haveged to fix this very issue.  This time I
have added a java program that pulls down a popular light weight daily
news web site once a minute to try and fix this issue... again.

Jul 06, 2016 5:15:04 PM org.apache.catalina.util.SessionIdGeneratorBase
createSecureRandom
INFO: Creation of SecureRandom instance for session ID generation using
[SHA1PRNG] took [403,772] milliseconds.

Thanks for the help.  Hope to return the favor some day.

I did get some good info about not needing the <context> in the
server.xml file.