On 13.07.2016 22:41, Mark Thomas wrote:
> I've been through the MBean descriptor for a web application and as far
> as I can tell, reading of all of the attributes is passive. It might
> return a few unexpected nulls or maybe thrown an exception but it
> shouldn't trigger any additional initialization.
>
> We need to find out what is triggering the second, unwanted
> initialization. You'll need to add some logging to your app to capture
> the relevant stack trace. When you have it, post it here.
>
> Mark

Dear Mark,

thank you for your work and feedback! I understand what you mean by "reading is
passive". I will try to collect some relevant parts from the log files tomorrow
at work. And I may advance any log level you request for. But I'm not able to
modify any application, because I'm responsible for operations and not a member
of the developer staff and have no other tool chain than "vi and javac". In the
other way round, i may deploy any testing war's you may provide me.

After my email, i did compare the output of the MBean Request between Tomcat6
and Tomcat8. And i noticed, that there is another model name in the answer and
there are more attributes.

And I play around with restarting of a bigger app which spend about 3 sec for
the initialization. I disabled the external monitoring and apply "the" MBean
request by hand (with wget). I run the tests about 10 times and it was
reproducible failing with an "early" MBean request and also reproducible
propper working without.

Now, may you or anybody else give me a hint how to log what is triggering a
catalina-exec worker, what are the parameters for this call or what's the
caller stack to get an idea of the triggering code path.

Tomorrow I also will test, if any other "regular" request to the application
will raise this race condition during application startup using Tomcat8.

with greetings

Guido