Just to update, we were able to work around this by changing our server.xml
connector config from:

    protocol="HTTP/1.1"
to:
    protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Nio2Protocol"
sslImplementationName="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation"

Somewhere deep within Http11NioProtocol there is a bug that is fixed in
Http11Nio2Protocol. Unfortunately, we don’t have the bandwidth to try to
isolate it further, though I will update if anything else is uncovered.

Thanks,
Peter