Running:
Ubuntu Trusty 14.0.4 LTS 64 Bit
mod_jk/1.2.37
Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)

Hello,

I have much investigated into this, but have no idea, why the AJP connections
from the Apache (MPM worker) to the AJP backends pile up.
They do not get closed, they stay in state ESTABLISHED.

Over night, the idle connections should be closed from the pool, but the do not
get closed, they get more and more every day, and the RAM of the Apache server
gets eaten up.

We have the following /etc/libapache2-mod-jk/workers.properties:

---

# not used
workers.tomcat_home=/usr/share/tomcat6
# not used
workers.java_home=/usr/lib/jvm/default-java
ps=/

# General worker template
worker.template_01.type=ajp13
worker.template_01.socket_connect_timeout=3000
worker.template_01.ping_mode=A
worker.template_01.connection_pool_timeout=600
worker.template_01.connection_pool_minsize=1
worker.template_01.socket_keepalive=true
worker.template_01.reply_timeout=1800000

---

and on the AJP backends (Jboss / EAP), we have also set the connectionTimeout
to 600000 ms , as written in
https://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/common_howto/timeouts.html

But even a Backend with low traffic, (maybe one request per minute) gets 300
established AJP connections after some days.

Here the content of /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/jk.conf:

<IfModule jk_module>

    JkWorkersFile /etc/libapache2-mod-jk/workers.properties
    JkLogFile /var/log/apache2/mod_jk.log
    JkLogLevel info
    JkShmFile /var/log/apache2/jk-runtime-status
    JkWatchdogInterval 60
</IfModule>

It looks like the JkWatchdog is not running? Or do the connections do not idle
because of some non-Apache requests like cping/cpong?

Your support is much appreciated.

Thanks