Hello,

Tomcat: 8.0.22
Java: jdk1.8.0_05

I recently restricted access to my Tomcat Manager App by:
1) Changing the name of the manager app.
2) Block access to the manager app by IP address.

I did the following:
A) Stopped Tomcat
B) Simply renamed the manager app in $CATALINA_BASE/webapps by executing
the linux command "mv manager somename".
C) Adding a file to the path $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/[hostname] named
"somename.xml" which contained the following context element to restrict
access to the manager app:

<Context path="/somename" privileged = "true">
<Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
allow="[myIP]"/>
</Context>

D) Start Tomcat

This caused my web application to loose access to the database (as if the
web applications Context element located in
/webapps/myapp/META-INF/context.xml was overridden or something).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what's going on?
My host is called localhost.

Thanks.