Yuval,

On 9/7/16 4:03 AM, Yuval Schwartz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Tomcat: 8.0.22 Java: jdk1.8.0_05
>
> I recently restricted access to my Tomcat Manager App by: 1)
> Changing the name of the manager app. 2) Block access to the
> manager app by IP address.
>
> I did the following: A) Stopped Tomcat B) Simply renamed the
> manager app in $CATALINA_BASE/webapps by executing the linux
> command "mv manager somename". C) Adding a file to the path
> $CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/[hostname] named "somename.xml" which
> contained the following context element to restrict access to the
> manager app:
>
> <Context path="/somename" privileged = "true"> <Valve
> className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve"
> allow="[myIP]"/> </Context>

Don't put a "path" in the <Context>. The filename is already
manager.xml, so Tomcat knows it should be deployed as /manager

Step (B) should have been sufficient. You can modify the
META-INF/context.xml that comes with the manager if you want. Or, even
better, use a separate CATALINA_BASE and your own custom
CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml that points to the
manager application in ${catalina.home}/webapps/manager.

We do this with our ant-based deployment scripts: copy the stock
manager's context.xml file, transform it with an XSLT that sets the
docBase and inserts the RemoteAddrValve and Realm we want, and drop
that file into CATALINA_BASE/conf/[engine]/[host]/manager.xml

> D) Start Tomcat
>
> This caused my web application to lose access to the database (as
> if the web applications Context element located in
> /webapps/myapp/META-INF/context.xml was overridden or something).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what's going on? My host is
> called localhost.

You must have done something other than what you described above. If
you really only touched the manager, than other applications shouldn't
have any problems.