André,

On 11/29/16 12:36 PM, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
> On 29.11.2016 17:56, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 29/11/2016 16:44, Arno Schäfer wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have activate WebDAV in our web application, as it is in
>>> tomcat. A filter control the access to exactly one folder
>>> inside the web application. This application is used only
>>> internal in the intra-net and so it run just over HTTP without
>>> any user permission. Open and save Office documents on this
>>> WebDAV URI work fine. What I have to do, that I can mount this
>>> one directory to the normal explorer. If I do it, like you see
>>> in the Attachment, I get the message, that Windows has no
>>> access. Do I have something to configure in the server, that
>>> directories can be mounted or does the standard WebDAV servlet
>>> do not have this feature?
>>
>> Some versions of the Windows WebDAV client refuse to connect if
>> the server root is not WebDAV enabled.
>
> Some recent versions of Windows also require that the server be
> HTTPS.

And with HTTP Digest authentication for some silly reason.

>> There is also this code that you might find helpful - although it
>> hasn't been updated in a while:
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/fi
lters/WebdavFixFilter.java?view=annotate

The general recommendation is to use a 3rd party WebDAV client. Check
>> the archives details (I think it is Chris that uses one).
>
> +1 There are so many differences between different versions of the
> MS DAV redirector, with so many inconsistencies and bugs between
> them, that it is generally-speaking a big loss of time to try to
> accomodate and support them all. For example, you have already
> experienced one inconsistency : MS-Office uses one form of DAV
> Redirector, while Windows Explorer uses a different
> "mini-redirector", and they have different requirements. When your
> organisation in the future updates either MS-Office or Windows,
> the behaviour will likely change. Search "windows webdav" in Google
> for an overview.

Microsoft has done what they can to kill WebDAV. We have resorted to
using South River Tech's WebDrive software. (I have no financial
interest in their company; just a satisfied user.)

MacOS and Linux seem to have no problem connecting to WebDAV shares in
general. I have never tried to configure Tomcat for WebDAV access: I
use httpd for that, but all of the above caveats with WebDAV from
Windows will apply regardless of the server software involved.

Good luck.