André,

On 11/29/16 12:36 PM, André Warnier (tomcat) wrote:
On 29.11.2016 17:56, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 29/11/2016 16:44, Arno Schäfer wrote:
Hi all,

I have activate WebDAV in our web application, as it is in
tomcat. A filter control the access to exactly one folder
inside the web application. This application is used only
internal in the intra-net and so it run just over HTTP without
any user permission. Open and save Office documents on this
WebDAV URI work fine. What I have to do, that I can mount this
one directory to the normal explorer. If I do it, like you see
in the Attachment, I get the message, that Windows has no
access. Do I have something to configure in the server, that
directories can be mounted or does the standard WebDAV servlet
do not have this feature?

Some versions of the Windows WebDAV client refuse to connect if
the server root is not WebDAV enabled.

Some recent versions of Windows also require that the server be
HTTPS.

And with HTTP Digest authentication for some silly reason.

There is also this code that you might find helpful - although it
hasn't been updated in a while:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/trunk/java/org/apache/catalina/fi
lters/WebdavFixFilter.java?view=annotate

The general recommendation is to use a 3rd party WebDAV client. Check
the archives details (I think it is Chris that uses one).

+1 There are so many differences between different versions of the
MS DAV redirector, with so many inconsistencies and bugs between
them, that it is generally-speaking a big loss of time to try to
accomodate and support them all. For example, you have already
experienced one inconsistency : MS-Office uses one form of DAV
Redirector, while Windows Explorer uses a different
"mini-redirector", and they have different requirements. When your
organisation in the future updates either MS-Office or Windows,
the behaviour will likely change. Search "windows webdav" in Google
for an overview.

Microsoft has done what they can to kill WebDAV. We have resorted to
using South River Tech's WebDrive software. (I have no financial
interest in their company; just a satisfied user.)

+1. We use the same product, with the same (comments).

MacOS and Linux seem to have no problem connecting to WebDAV shares in
general. I have never tried to configure Tomcat for WebDAV access: I
use httpd for that, but all of the above caveats with WebDAV from
Windows will apply regardless of the server software involved.

+1 to that also.