Peter,

On 12/21/16 4:22 AM, Peter Wallis wrote:
> Hi all, I have tomcat 8.0.39 running on a raspberry pi (easy) and
> thought I'd try setting it up to provide "skills" for the Amazon
> Echo Alexa service.  This requires a url which "presents" either a
> signed certificate, or a self-signed certificate.
>
> Using fiirefox to check, I believe I got it presenting a
> self-signed certificate but, as I have bought a domain name with a
> free certificate, I thought I get that running before moving on to
> delivering skills.

Sounds good.

> A month later (this is not my day job) I'm still stuck.  sslchecker
> is the most informative and says no certificates were found.  It
> does say "Server Type: Apache-Coyote 1.1"

Okay, so you can make a connection: that's good :)

> No messages on catalina.out; occasionally a message on
> xxx_access_log saying "HEAD / HTTP/1.1" 200 -"  openssl verify just
> hangs; and Firefox says secure connection failed.

Okay, so we have a place to start. First of all, "openssl verify"
isn't what you want to use to connect. Instead, you want "openssl
s_client".

Can you post your <Connector> configuration?

> The problem might be an issue with the CA; it might be my keystore;
> it might be my tomcat settings.  I don't think it is the latter
> because the self signed certificate seemed to work.  I don't think
> it is the CA or keystore because I can a) verify the certificate
> chain with openssl and the keystore tells me I have the
> certificates I think I have.

What matters is what the server (Tomcat) is presenting to the client,
not what's actually in the keystore (though usually they are very
closely related).

> I have googled for getting tomcat to give some debug information
> but what I've found so far has no effect.  Can someone point me to
> the official how-to debug ssl issues on tomcat?

There isn't really an official "Tomcat" TLS debugging how-to, because
they are all pretty much the same. Most of the confusion occurs in one
specific place: key/cert management (key, csr, cert, chain, etc.)
because if you don't understand it, it's easy to get lost.

Along with posting your <Connector> configuration, can you post the
output of this command:

$ keytool -list -verbose -keystore [keystorename]