On 20.01.2017 03:59, smith wrote:
Hi, chris:

"busy" is the same as "active".
When not use <Executor>, our busy thread always keep under 10 while the
currentThreadCount keeps high (these are get from tomcat manager), So we really don't
know how many threads are truly free. How many are in keepAlivedStatus

That may be my fault, in my contributions earlier.
I believe that it is reasonable to assume that "busy" also counts the threads which are currently "in keepAlive" status. That is because these threads are not "free" to handle new requests yet from other clients than the one which "owns" the connection on which they are in keepAlive.
But I do not know the code, so someone else may want to confirm/correct this.

Anyway, you do have a simple way to verify this : reduce the keepAlive to 5 seconds, instead of 20, and see how it impacts the counts that you are seeing.
If keepAlive counts as "busy", then you should see less "busy" threads on
average.
If keepAlive does not count as busy, then you will see no difference.

One more proviso : the above is for the case where clients connect to tomcat directly, without a front-end, which may itself create a pool of permanent connections to tomcat.
(Chris already mentioned that).
If there is such a front-end, and it does something like "pings" on each connection to the tomcat back-end connections all the time, then you would have, on the tomcat side, an alsmost constant number of threads in keepAlive wait status.

All in all, considering your ultimate purpose (to determine when your tomcat is getting close to the limit of what it can handle, and decide if you need more tomcats or not), I believe that your current focus on the number of tomcat threads active or not, may not be the best diagnostic tool.

Maybe a better tool would be to look at the number of connections which are waiting to be accepted. This should always be 0, or small. If it starts growing, then that is a clear signal that tomcat is getting saturated. (This is related to the "acceptCount" attribute of the Connectors).

Another tool may be to look at how long it takes tomcat to respond to requests (or at least some specific types of requests). You can probably set a baseline, when you know that tomcat is really not heavily loaded (maybe on your development system e.g.). And then, when you see this response time increasing seriously, is when you should start analysing why. (*)

This kind of approach would have the advantage of focusing on what really matters in the end : the ability of your server (as a whole : hardware, OS, tomcat and applications included) to handle a given number of requests within a given time interval, with /your/ mix of clients and applications.

(*) because the reason may be for example that you need more memory, not more
threads.