looks like I can't overwrite the webapp context.xml with tomcat
context.xml. I have no control over the WAR file until tomcat deployed it :(

If I try to use tomcat server.xml and add
<Context>

  <JarScanner scanManifest="false"/>

</Context>

inside <Host> it somehow breaks the webapp.

Is there any other way for me to set this scanmanifest to false.

Says if I took all the jars that I saw reported as
WARNING: Failed to scan...
java.io.FileNotFoundException: .../common/lib/jonas_timer.jar (No such file
or directory)

And append them to:
tomcat.util.scan.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToSkip

in catalina.properties, would that help ?