On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 11:35 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10/03/2017 16:21, KK Gupta wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Our product uses Tomcat 8.0.x series and we recently upgraded to tomcat
> > 8.0.41 in our product.
> >
> > http://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html shows that 8.0.41 as
> superseded.
> > So, I wanted to understand whether 8.0.x line is actively being
> maintained
> > or not?
>
> For now, yes but the expectation is users will move to 8.5.x sooner
> rather than later.
>
> > We are primarily concerned about security vulnerability fixes and need to
> > understand how long those would continue to be delivered on 8.0.x series.
>
> The initial plan was that these would have stopped already. The most
> likely scenario at the moment s that 8.0.x moves to a 3 to 6 monthly
> release cycle but that depends on there being a release manager to do
> the releases.
>
> Thank you for this information.

> > Moving to 8.5.x requires significant efforts from our side and thus
> trying
> > to understand pros and cons of remaining on 8.0.x line.
>
> Why so much work? 8.0.x to 8.5.x should be a fairly smooth upgrade. If
> there are problems it would help to know what they are.

Amit discussed it previously on this thread http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-
user&m=148703520014730&w=2

To summarize - we have a custom BIO based connector, where we ended up
extending few of the org.apache.tomcat.util.net and org.apache.coyote.http11
classes
with refactoring in 8.5.x those classes are gone.

For the longer term, we intend to change our architecture and get rid of
custom
connectors completely so that we do not end up in same situation again.
However that's proving to be a significant work.
Therefore, we were hoping that we could continue to use 8.0.x series