"I think you are chasing a ghost that isn't actually there."

I agree with Chris. You should try to clean the caches and I believe that
you will see your memory back "free". Have a look at how to do it here :
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/87908/how-do-you-empty-the-buffers-and-cache-on-a-linux-system