First-time Tomcat user here. I installed 8.5.9months ago, and would like to
upgrade to the latest 8.5.15. I see there's some documentation for updating the
8.5.x branch here,

http://tomcat.apache.org/migration-85.html#Upgrading_8.5.x

but I'm missing some context. I have a fairly simple install/application, and
wonder what the conventional wisdom is how to perform the update.

I assume I need to shutdown Tomcat. Then, is there a set of directories I
should just replace to perform the update? Are these directories listed
somewhere? Then do I just restart Tomcat to finalize the update? Any advice
much appreciated (the more specific the better). Thanks in advance, Gerry