Igal,

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

I would disagree to do it this way.

I'd say a more robust (and the documented way) is to use a Tomcat-Home
directory and a Tomcat-Base Directory.

$CATALINA_HOME holds the actual distributed Tomcat-"Binaries" (ZIP/TGZ),
$CATALINA_BASE holds your adapted config, libs and webapps.

This way you can just exchange the CATALINA_HOME with a new version (say
8.5.15) and restart Tomcat. In case there are differences in configs between
versions, adapt your conf using
https://tomcat.apache.org/migration-85.html#Tomcat_8.5.x_configuration_file_differences

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/introduction.html#Directories_and_Files
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.5-doc/RUNNING.txt