All,

I'm using Tomcat 7.0.75.

I cannot get my connection or thread count over 100 no matter how much load I
throw at the server.  Currently I just have a dummy app deployed that doesn't
do much except sleep for about 500ms and return a canned response.  Initially I
had maxThreads=20 with no explicit maxConnections.  I could get the "current
threads busy" metric to 20 easily.  Then I raised it to 100 and was able to
reach that number easily.  Additionally, netstat told me I had 100 incoming
connections to port 5114.  However raising the maxThreads higher doesn't make
any difference, nor does explicitly specifying maxConnections=200.  In either
case, I can only get 100 busy threads and 100 active connections.  Once I reach
that limit, the response times on the client start going up.  The Tomcat server
itself isn't stressed at all.  CPU and GC are low.  The client is on a
different server in the same data center.

I'm not going through a load balancer.  I'm going directly to the connector
below:

    <Connector port="5114"
        protocol="HTTP/1.1"
        SSLEnabled="true"
        maxConnections="200"
        maxThreads="200"
        maxKeepAliveRequests="100"
        keepAliveTimeout="10000"
        scheme="https"
        secure="true"
        clientAuth="true"
        sslProtocol="TLS"
        keystoreFile="/app/comp/myapp/certs/appcerttestkeystore"
        keystorePass="${keystore.password}"
        keyAlias="test"
        truststoreFile="/app/comp/myapp/certs/cacerts"
        truststorePass="${truststore.password}"
        allowUnsafeLegacyRenegotiation="false"
                ciphers="blah blah blah"
        />